Skip to main content

Hold Baggage

Our hold baggage arrived today! (I would have pictures, but the batteries are dead in the camera.)

Hold baggage is all the stuff we sent ahead so that it would be here when we arrived. We sent ahead all our summer clothes, swimsuits, beach toys, pillows, blankets, cooking items, Christmas gifts, etc. In short, everything we would need when we arrived in Hawaii. It all left Kansas early enough to be delivered to us within days of our arrival.

Once we got here, they told us we couldn't have it.

They won't deliver that much stuff to the hotel. It's a fire hazard. Um.....so why did they tell us to send this stuff ahead?

Anyway, it's here now. We had a little mini-Christmas handing out the Christmas gifts we had sent ahead. Poor Emily had outgrown many of the clothes I had bought her. I didn't know she was about to shoot up two full inches when I bought all this stuff.

One of the things we sent ahead in our hold baggage was a bicycle. With only one vehicle, we thought the bicycle would be useful for Kerry to ride to work so I could have the car.

We were unaware that there would be a daily monsoon and riding a bike would be completely out of the question.

The last time I saw the bike was in Kansas. I wheeled it out to the men who were loading our hold baggage on to a truck and said, "This is the last thing to go!"

The first time I saw the bike today was when one of the movers sliced open a card board box, removed the two wheels, marched them into my living room and said, "Where do you want these?"

"Right back outside where you're going to put it together," I replied with a smile.

"I don't know how to put a bike together. I'm just a mover," he told me.

"Well, it was all in one piece when I turned it over to the movers in Kansas and one of the movers took it apart," I told him.

"Oh, I can take things apart," he told me. "That's easy. But I don't know how to put a bike together."

"Well, it's got to be put back together before you leave, and it won't be done by me," I replied laughing. (Note: always smile and laugh with your movers for as long as possible. Save the complete witchiness for when all else has failed. Being friendly works wonders.)

One of the other movers finally put the bike together.

Mission accomplished. No shots fired.

Those who do not move on a regular basis do not understand the thrill of getting your stuff back. Even the smallest things, like your favorite pillow, are a joy to behold when you have been sleeping on a hard hotel pillow for a month and then sleeping on a rolled up winter coat (with water proof nylon shell) for several days.

I almost cried when I pulled my pillow out of a box today. "Rosebud," I nearly sobbed, "Rosebud!"

Tonight I shall sleep on my own pillow, under my own comforter, on a mattress covered in plastic.

So close to perfect......................

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ben's Feet

Ben went camping with his youth group this weekend. He said it was the best weekend he's had since we've been in Hawaii, and possibly in his entire life. The one negative part was that he stepped on some coral out in the water and cut his feet up pretty good. He swears it was all dead coral - you shouldn't touch live coral, much less walk on it because it damages the coral. No one ever mentions that it also damages your feet. They just tell you not to damage the coral. Also, coral is a living organism . If you step on live coral and a tiny piece breaks off in the cut, it will continue to grow. Did you see the movie Alien ? If some creature incubates in Ben's feet, then breaks out and eats us all one night, I'm going to be quite miffed. (Make sure you read the inscription on his tee shirt in this picture. It's quite appropriate.)

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o

A Week After Surgery

Katie went back to the surgeon yesterday to have her foot checked.  It was the first time we saw the stitches.  When we saw her after surgery, her foot was already wrapped up in three inches of gauze and it's been wrapped like that ever since. The doctor decided that the sutures were not quite ready to be removed. There are stitches in the side of her foot where they inserted one of the screws.  The surgeon told us that she has to be very, very, very careful not to put her foot on the ground.  Any pressure at all could cause the screws to shift or break and that would be very, very, very bad. They knew we were going out of town for the wedding this weekend.  In order to protect her foot as much as possible, she was put in a hard cast.  It will come back off on Monday so they can check the sutures again.  This cast has a very limited time to be signed! Katie may not get to have a lot of people sign her cast  but she currently still has the initials of the sur