Skip to main content

The Eagle Has Landed

Holy Cow.

We're really here.

Let's start at the beginning.

I got about two hours of sleep Friday night because I was afraid we wouldn't wake up in time.

But we did.

We got to the airport and unloaded our ten suitcases and the dogs. Kerry had to go turn in the rental van, Ben guarded the dogs, the girls guarded all our carry ons and I started the check in process.

Because none of my manly men were nearby, I had to lift each suitcase up on the scale, let them tag it, and then drag it over to the security area to be screened. I flagged down one of the ladies behind the counter and asked her what to do with the dogs. She said she would check on it for me and I never saw her again.

Finally I got someone else to help me. She looked over and said, "That's the biggest kennel I've ever seen in my life." I proudly informed her that it is the largest kennel made.

They had to bring over security guards to check the dogs to make sure we weren't smuggling bombs in their cages. We had to take the dogs out of their kennels and they inspected the entire inside of the kennels as well and their collars and leashes, dishes and bag of dog food. I was wondering if they were going to do a proctology exam but I guess they have to draw the line somewhere.

The bad thing was once the dogs were out of their kennels, they weren't wild about going back in. Rigger went in all right, although he wasn't pleased. Ringo tried to jump over the kennel rather than go inside it. When we grabbed him and tried to stuff him back in, he spread his legs out like a little kid trying to be too wide to go through the door. Once we got them in and started down towards our departure gate, we could hear him barking all the way down the terminal. It was heartbreaking! I hate knowing that they didn't understand why we were doing this to them.

We decided to buy some sandwiches to tide us over. They charged $61 for sandwiches and drinks! We didn't even get side orders!

Our first flight was only an hour. Katie got sick (we think it was the sandwich). We couldn't find an airsick bag fast enough, so Kerry held his coat out and she threw up on it. Good thing we won't need it for the next few years!

We got to watch the sun come up from the plane. It was really cool to be high in the sky watching a sunrise. Katie was thrilled by everything. She doesn't remember ever being on a plane before and every little thing was exciting to her. Except for the throwing up, I mean.

Our second flight was nine hours. Thank goodness they now have a TV in the back of every headrest and you can choose from dozens of movies and watch whatever you want whenever you want. There were also some TV stations you could watch, music channels you could choose, games you could play, and maps you could explore. They even had a map showing our flight path with a little plane showing where we were. I liked to switch over every so often and see how far we had to go. Those little TVs are an absolute life saver when you are traveling with kids.

But....they don't just serve you lunch because you are traveling and have no where to go to eat. You have to buy your lunches, cash only, if you want food. Drinks are free.

We finally landed in Hawaii and collected our luggage........................

... except for Kerry's main suitcase which didn't show up. We're hoping it will arrive soon. My suitcase was stolen once and I am very nervous now whenever a bag doesn't arrive with us.

They don't meet you at the gate with leis these days,

but they do push a cart around and you can purchase your own lei.


The girls each picked out one.

We aren't picking the dogs up for a day or so. We have to make arrangements to kennel them. My friend Jennifer met us at the airport and drove us to get some dinner while Kerry's sponsor drove him to the hotel. We were so exhausted, Kerry went to bed at 7:00 and I went to bed at 7:30 (which was like 11:00 or 12:00 to us because we are still on Central Time).

But right now we are on Hawaiian Time.

Holy Cow.

Comments

  1. Congratulations on arriving at the newest destination in your life's adventures! The girls thought the vomit in the coat was funny. I'm jealous! (Not of the vomit, of Hawaii, of course).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ben's Feet

Ben went camping with his youth group this weekend. He said it was the best weekend he's had since we've been in Hawaii, and possibly in his entire life. The one negative part was that he stepped on some coral out in the water and cut his feet up pretty good. He swears it was all dead coral - you shouldn't touch live coral, much less walk on it because it damages the coral. No one ever mentions that it also damages your feet. They just tell you not to damage the coral. Also, coral is a living organism . If you step on live coral and a tiny piece breaks off in the cut, it will continue to grow. Did you see the movie Alien ? If some creature incubates in Ben's feet, then breaks out and eats us all one night, I'm going to be quite miffed. (Make sure you read the inscription on his tee shirt in this picture. It's quite appropriate.)

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o

A Week After Surgery

Katie went back to the surgeon yesterday to have her foot checked.  It was the first time we saw the stitches.  When we saw her after surgery, her foot was already wrapped up in three inches of gauze and it's been wrapped like that ever since. The doctor decided that the sutures were not quite ready to be removed. There are stitches in the side of her foot where they inserted one of the screws.  The surgeon told us that she has to be very, very, very careful not to put her foot on the ground.  Any pressure at all could cause the screws to shift or break and that would be very, very, very bad. They knew we were going out of town for the wedding this weekend.  In order to protect her foot as much as possible, she was put in a hard cast.  It will come back off on Monday so they can check the sutures again.  This cast has a very limited time to be signed! Katie may not get to have a lot of people sign her cast  but she currently still has the initials of the sur