Skip to main content

Youth Group Fun

Today after church, Ben was invited to go play "Airsoft" with the testorerone laden youth of the church. Apparently, every Sunday, all the teen boys go to lunch, play Airsoft for four hours or so, then meet back at the church for a youth group study and games.

I had never heard of Airsoft. I was told the boys would be shooting pellets at each other "sort of like paintball" and that it was lots of fun.

Now, I don't know about you, but when I hear the word "AirSOFT" I think of the boys shooting SOFT pellets at each other. Sort of like Nerf bullets. Or mini-marshmallows.

Turns out they are actually shooting hard little BB's at each other which hurt like crazy and leave bruises and welts and red marks and Ben can hardly wait until next week so he can do it again and this time Kerry is going to go with him so he won't miss out on the fun.

I probably don't even need to point out that not one single teen girl from the church chooses to participate in this game.

When we went to the church to pick Ben up this evening, we just pulled up in the parking lot while I called his cell phone to let him know we were there. He answered his phone with a hiss, "I'll have to call you back! I'm hiding in a great spot and........."

He was interrupted by the whoops and yells of the enemy who had heard his cell phone ring and had thusly tracked him down in what was the best hiding spot ever.

"Thanks a lot, MOM!"

Oops.

Comments

  1. Bryan, Logan and Dad all enjoy playing airsoft. I finally broke down last year for Christmas and allowed for B to receive his own guns. A hint...old BDU's work great to soften the blow of the 'not soft' airsoft pellets! (And they totally get into the Rambo role!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh and IV are Airsoft players too. They head over to Alex's house for major battles many weekends. Last weekend it was 10 degrees when IV went over for a 6 hour battle. Definitely a different experience from Hawaii. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...