Skip to main content

A Frightening Moment

I was on my way home from a trip to town today when the car in front of me slammed on the brakes. I could tell the car in front of her was also stopped, so I went around them on the right. As I passed the first car, I saw an old man lying on the ground and the driver of the first vehicle was waving frantically for me to stop. I realized she had run into him with her car.....

I pulled over and jumped out with my cell phone and called 911. I was giving them all the pertinent information as we helped the man to his feet and over to the side of the road. He was blind and told us he had been trying to cross the street by listening for cars. He simply didn't hear anyone coming and ran across the road.

He was skinned up a little and said his back hurt. I asked him if there was anyone I could call for him but he said no. He was carrying a bucket with odds and ends in it and told us he was 84 years old.

The poor woman that hit him was a basket case. The ambulance took the man to the hospital, but she seemed in worse shape. I hope they gave her something to calm her down. She held it together until the police started questioning her and then she really fell apart. I felt so bad for her; it clearly wasn't her fault.

That was my shake-up for the day!

Comments

  1. My word! That was a bad experience for all concerned. I am so glad he was not hurt badly. Her nerves are probably still rattled. GG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow!

    Ok...
    Dear Lord,
    We lift this woman up to you right now. We ask that you bring her the Peace that Passes All Understanding. If she is not a Believer, than break through to her heart. If she is, then let her focus on your Holy Spirit for the rest she needs. Speak to this woman's heart. Calm it. I see it was a couple of days ago, but LORD, you know her condition right now.
    Be with her. Also, LORD we ask the same for the man.

    Amen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...