Skip to main content

We Welcome Thee, Almighty Target

You can not imagine the delirious joy of living on an island.

You can not imagine the delirious joy of living on an island and having a new store open.

Target has come to Hawaii.

And the population has gone wild.

Crowd control has been activated. The parking lot is closed off when it is full and everyone circles like sharks waiting for someone to leave so they can take their parking space. The driveway in front of the store has been completely blocked off with orange cones and tape and has police manning it at all times to direct people safely in and out of the store.

When you live on an island, you can't just drive to the "big city" to the Target. You can't cross state lines for an afternoon of shopping at larger stores. You can look at the items on-line and pay astronomical shipping fees to have something sent to you, but you can't walk in the store and browse. You can't try things on to see if they fit you.

So when a major store like Target opens.........the shopping frenzy begins.

We didn't even try to go the first week it was open. I heard it was crazy. We waited for things to calm down a bit and waited for a weekday. I won't get within a mile of that store on a weekend.

When we rounded a corner today and spotted that big red bulls-eye, the girls screamed like groupies at a rock concert. "Target!!!!!"

The Beatles had nothing on a new store in a Target deprived community.

The girls and I had a great time browsing all the departments and trying on clothes in the dressing room. I sent Ben off to the men's section to look for shorts. He popped up five minutes later with three pair of shorts totalling $80.

"Did you try any of these on?" I asked.

"I don't shop, Mom. I just buy."

"Well, when you're buying with my money you don't get $80 worth of shorts."

Mean moms have good kids.

Comments

  1. I can so relate to the elation of a Target. I've been known to drive 2 hours to shop at one! While on my "island" I've been doing my fair share of online Target. What is my first stop when in the States. Target of course! And two baskets later....
    Relish in the Big Red Bullseye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!!!! Amy you sound just like my parents. When we want something expensive yall parents always say "No way!! There are somethings in life you can just deal with!!" Lala (Mary) always says "Im not buying anything thats more than my clothes and shoes." Kimberly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...