Skip to main content

Happiness Comes to Hawaii

Hawaii is a pretty fabulous place to live. The weather is perfect nearly every day. I've seen more rainbows in the past three months than I've seen in my entire life. There are some of the most incredible views I've ever had the joy to see. It has it's drawbacks though.

One of those issues was solved when the two Target stores opened here. Ahhhh. Target.

Our other common laments are that we miss Chick-fil-A and Krispy Kreme doughnuts. We don't complain about this often. It's not like we sit on a beach under a double rainbow watching the sun set behind the surfers and say, "This stinks! I want a Chick-fil-A sandwich and a Krispy Kreme doughnut. I hate my life."

But still.......there are just some things you miss sometimes.

But as usual, God always provides. This week I was driving home and there, on the street corner, was a group of people selling Krispy Kreme doughnuts for a fundraiser. I have no idea what they were raising money for. They could have been raising money to buy Paris Hilton a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I didn't care.

"How much?!" I screeched at the girl on the side of the road.

"Ten dollars," she shouted back (she might have said twelve, I don't remember, I was flinging money out the window at her, I didn't care how much they were).

"Where did you get these?" I sobbed clutching my box of doughnuts.

"We had them flown in, they're fresh," she grinned at me.

I think I got some of the glaze on the camera lens during the feeding frenzy which progressed when I got home.

Life just gets better and better.

Now where's that Chick-fil-A?

Comments

  1. Thank you for my laugh for the day. This was better than the web cam. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to stop at the Krispy Kreme store the next time I am in Albany and eat a box JUST FOR YOU ! ! ! ! ! GG

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...