Skip to main content

National Youth Leader Training

Ben was selected to go to National Youth Leader Training with the Boy Scouts here. I felt like it was a great opportunity for him and made, er...I mean, "let" him go.

He was not allowed to take a phone so we had no contact with him for a week. This concerned me as this was not a camp out with his usual troop. These were boys from different troops all over the island. One of the first things they do is separate boys into patrols with people they don't know so they learn to work with strangers rather than teaming up with their buddies.

Friday night they held a feast and invited the families to join them for dinner and watch skits the boys had worked on during the week.

They definitely had the "feast" part down pat. I think there were five different kinds of meat. Potatoes and rice too. Definitely food scouts were happy about.


After the meal, they led us down to their campfire area. It was waaaaay back in the woods. We had to trek there in the dark. They had a scout posted every so often holding a tiki torch which did nothing whatsoever to help us see our way along. And they actually had us go down a lot of stairs. Not nice evenly spaced stairs either. Stairs built by boy scouts. You couldn't tell if you were about to step on a stair that was two inches wide on one end and twelve inches wide on the other end. Or if it was going to be three inches down to the next step or eight. Quite a navigational experience getting to the campfire.

The campfire very quickly burned out and we sat in the dark and listened to the speech about what the boys had learned during the week.

We watched the skits. If you watch carefully, someone used a flash and you can see Ben's group performing a song. It's just a split second mind you. You may have to watch it several times to actually catch it. Yes, there! That's Ben!

Then the boys were presented with their certificates. I think this was Ben getting his. When they called out his name, the staff and other scouts exploded in cheers and yells which makes me wonder what the heck he does to get everyone to adore him so much in only a week when he can not be pleasant to his sisters for five minutes at home.


Then it was time to leave. We had to hike back up the stairs and trail in the pitch black darkness. I held on to the back of Ben's shirt with one hand and held on to the girls with the other hand while Ben trotted up the path like a mountain goat. "I've been up and down this path five hundred times this week, I don't need to be able to see it," he told me.


He told me all about his week on the drive home - I'll post his account of it tomorrow.


"Did you make any friends?" I asked. He looked at me and grinned. "Did you hear everyone scream my name?"

I guess that means yes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...