Skip to main content

Emily's Inspirations

Many, many years ago, when I had only two children old enough to trick-or-treat, I saw a magazine article showing how to make some adorable popcorn costumes. I decided to go into maximum Martha mode and made two of them. They were a huge hit! Everywhere we went people oooh'd and aaah'd. The kids got extra candy from people because they were so cute. They wore those costumes for several years in a row and even Katie wore one when she was old enough.


They finally got so ratty we had to toss them out. I hated to see them go.


Emily really, really, REALLY caught on to the idea of the homemade costume. She LOVES making a costume. She LOVES the attention she gets. She LOVES having something that no one else has. She has gotten ideas from magazines, books, and from seeing someone else's costume and devising ways to make their costume better. The minute Halloween is over (and once while we were actually out trick-or-treating) she starts planning next year's costume.



The first year after the popcorn, she decided to be a Lego.


The next year, she wanted to be a picnic.


The year after that, she decided to be a washing machine.



Last year, she was a tea party. It's a little difficult to tell from this angle, but that is a tea pot on her head.


And this year's costume is.....................................................................




A Lemonade Stand!


We glued a lemonade jar, a Country Time lemonade container, fake lemons, and plastic cups filled with lemon jello to the stand for good visual effect. Cool huh?

Comments

  1. Love those! I am not, however, letting any of my children see them. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the popcorn! You shipped those around?!? I was actually thinking of asking you how they are made. I can't wait to show my uninspired boys Emily's wonderfully creative costume ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...