Skip to main content

Our First Foray Into Formals

One thing that seems to concern people about homeschooling is: "What about prom?"

Many people seem to think a prom is the highlight of high school and that four years of "traditional" schooling is a small price to pay for the chance to attend a formal dance.

Well, guess what?

I don't remember my prom being all that great of an experience. My boyfriend and I had just broken up and I wound up going to the prom with a guy I didn't particuarly like. He was probably a nice enough guy, but he wasn't who I wanted to be at the prom with. I knew plenty of other folks in the same boat. High school romances are not known for being long-term, and many of us were frantically searching for dates at the last minute.

I remember two main things about my prom

1. We danced for too long before we had our pictures taken and I'm sweaty and my hair is a mess in our official prom photo; and

2. Fending off my rather handsy date later in the evening.

Seriously, I can not tell you one other thing about my prom. I don't remember who else was there, what anyone wore (except me, and that's possibly because I have a photo) or what the theme of the prom was (in the photo we are standing next to a wishing well and one of the seven dwarfs - I suppose that's a clue, but it doesn't bring up any other images for me).

Add to that, the fact that I attended a number of fraternity formals in college, and (too many to count) formal balls as a military wife.

So, I really don't understand the idea that a high school prom is some grand life event that my kids will forever mourn having missed.

However, if you feel a high school prom must be in your child's future, guess what?

Homeschoolers have formal dances too.

Ben attended his first formal this weekend. A homeschooling family from our church arranged the entire thing. As Ben does not own a suit, tie, or a pair of dress shoes (or dress socks for that matter) this became a major shopping event for us.

Luckily, Kerry has a fabulous tie with matching suspenders which I knew would be a big hit when the guys started shedding their jackets as the evening went on.

I was right.

I stayed long enough to snap a few pictures. Here is Ben with some of his best friends.

This is the sort of prom I wish I'd had.

Rather than just stranding a bunch of teens in a room with music playing, this prom included some fun games and some dance instruction. They learned to do a line dance, a reel, and a waltz. Names were drawn out of a hat to provide partners for dances. No one had to try to work up the nerve to ask a girl to dance, and no one was left out.

There wasn't a single wall flower at this dance!

I believe Ben's enjoying being unsocialized.

Comments

  1. How fun! That's exactly the sort of prom our homeschool group does. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD LOOKING GUY! Glad it was such a success.

    GG

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Queen Emma's Summer Palace

We recently visited Queen Emma's Summer Palace in Honolulu. If you are expecting a "palace", you will be disappointed. It's a nice house but not particularly palatial . If you think of it as Queen Emma's Summer Cottage, you'll enjoy it more because it will meet your expectations. Queen Emma was the wife of King Kamehameha IV. Their only child, Prince Albert, died at age four, and King Kamehameha IV died a year later. It's a sad story. The home was used by the royal family in the mid-1800's. Today it holds artifacts from that time period. Some of the furnishings and memorabilia actually belonged to Queen Emma. Unfortunately, no photography is allowed inside, so I didn't take any pictures. I did, however, find some images on the internet which I am copying here. Don't sue me, please. I did try to buy postcards in the gift shop, but they didn't have any. This photo is of the parlor. Queen Emma acquired this baby grand piano later ...

Cookie Map of Egypt

Katie is studying ancient Egyptian history right now and in the interest of making it more "hands-on" for her, we've joined a co-op at our church. We've been part of the co-op for a long time, but we've not done history with them until now. I was in charge of this week's craft project so I had all the kids make maps of ancient Egypt out of cookie dough. Katie and I made one at home for practice, then we made one again at co-op so the pictures look different as I used some photographs from each session. Each child started out with one full tube of sugar cookie dough. They pressed each one out into a 10x6 inch rectangle as if it were clay or play dough. We used toothpicks to outline where we wanted land formations to be. Then we outlined the Mediterranean Sea with a blue gel. And filled it in with blue icing. We used Twizzlers to outline the Red Sea. Although the Red Sea isn't actually red, there is a seasonal algae there which is red in color. I thought the...