Skip to main content

Lee's Chicken

When I was planning the Big Fat Trip, I told everyone that we needed to cut costs by not eating out as much.  Unfortunately, I've found on past trips that if I take sandwiches, no one actually eats them.  The sight of sandwich fixin's just can't compare with the sight of a fast food sign.

So on this trip, I packed drinks, fruit, and chips and told everyone we could buy hamburgers or chicken sandwiches but we would not be ordering fries or drinks.

Well, as it just so happened at one point, just as we were getting hungry for lunch, we spotted a Lee's Fried Chicken up ahead.  Lee's really has excellent chicken and fabulous biscuits.  We quickly decided that we would stop and grab chicken although I reminded everyone that we would only buy chicken as we had drinks and sides in the car.

The girls waited in the car while Kerry and I went inside.  Kerry placed our order while I availed myself of the restroom.

When we got back out to the car, Kerry pulled out a box of chicken and then a smaller styrofoam container while announcing, "I know we said we were only going to get chicken, but I got a surprise for everyone!"

The girls gleefully screamed, "Biscuits!"  

"Nope!"  Kerry told them happily.  "Livers and gizzards!"

We all thought he was teasing us.  He's known me for thirty years and he's known the girls since the day they were born.  Surely, he's aware that we have never, ever, ever, not once, requested to eat chicken livers or gizzards.

No, he was not kidding.

He was disgruntled that they wouldn't even try one.

They were disgruntled for other reasons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...