Skip to main content

Emily's Official Party

Although we took Emily to dinner and gave her a camera on her actual birthday, her party wasn't until the weekend. We tagged on Katie's idea and also had a spa party for Emily's group of friends. They played with each other's hair, painted their nails, and waxed and waxed and waxed their hands. I've never seen girls so thrilled with a hand waxer. They used up all the plastic bags which cover the wax once it's on your hand. Then they left those same plastic bags lying all over my living room floor.

Katie gathered up all the wax after it was used and molded it into a giant brain.

On of the guests coiffed Emily's hair into a whale spout. I think twenty years from now she's going to look at this pictures and say, "WHY was I wearing my hair like that?!?!"

Actually I don't think it will take twenty years.

Katie got to live out her life's dream by giving a dozen or so pedicures.

Kerry went ahead and cut the cake before we could sing to her or put candles on it, but he did a quick repair and covered the slice so it looked okay in the pictures once he realized it.

Emily totally cheated on the candles. She used a plate to fan out the candles at the same time she was blowing on them.

The girls then descended on the kitchen and stripped it bare of all food supplies like a hoard of locusts. I used to be prepared for Ben's parties because the boys would eat their weight in pizza. But let me tell you, these girls would have given any group of teen boys a run for their money on inhaling dinner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...