Skip to main content

Spa Party

Katie decided she wanted to throw a "spa party" for some friends who are moving off the island. Bless her girlie little heart, she researched every possibility of things we could do and laid out a floor plan of who would be where doing what throughout the entire party. She planned homemade facials of honey and oatmeal or cucumber and yogurt, manicures, pedicures, foot massages, and handwaxing. We purchased scented lotions, sugar scrubs, headbands, and nail polishes. Katie goes all out (with my money) when she plans a party.

As a special treat, one of Emily's friends came over and offered to do face-painting on the girls. Almost every girl chose the same pattern of flowers. I had thought for sure someone would choose butterflies or rainbows.


One of the girls chose to have a panda and a penguin painted on her arms. Very cute and it matched her tee shirt!

Katie went back and had a necklace painted on as well. It lasted for days!

Katie particularly enjoyed giving everyone pedicures and foot massages. She says she thinks she's found her calling in life.

I was really hoping she would aim a little higher and go to college but I know I can't have everything.

Comments

  1. Love it Katie! I dunno, I think "party planner" may be in her future. :) Love the panda, flower and penguin painting.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...