Skip to main content

Emily's 14th Birthday

Emily is now 14. Of course, this always inspires memories for me and Kerry of what we were doing 14 years ago. Emily arrived in a hurry. I was only at the hospital for a couple of hours and a nurse asked came in and asked how I was doing. I told her I was starting to feel the need to push. The nurse took a peek and said, "Honey, don't push! The baby is right there!" She made a quick phone call and the room filled up with nurses and assorted folk scurrying around and setting up. The doctor walked in the room, held his arms straight out, a nurse whipped a surgical gown on to him, another one snapped on his gloves, he leaned over, caught Emily and held her up. He was in the room less than a minute before she arrived. I'm telling you, that girl saw light and she ran for it.

This is her today, fourteen years later. She and Ben are actually staying on the other side of the island this week so we drove out there to pick them up and take them to a Mongolian BBQ for dinner. Five of their friends joined us. Emily will have her official celebration once she is back home, but this was good for now. I forgot the camera, so all I have are a few blurry cell phone pictures to mark the occasion.

But we gave her a camera of her very own while we were there, so that will make up for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...