Skip to main content

Living In A Sea of Boxes, Part II

Just like when we were packed up in Kansas, we have a million boxes in our house again.

The Hawaiian movers were very nice. They wore flip flops (they call them "slippahs" here) instead of shoes with good support. One of them had really long toenails.

I fed them a breakfast casserole and coffee when they got here (always be nice to people who are in control of your household goods).

At some point there was an explosion of glitter from one of the boxes. It was all over the ramp they were using. Gave it a nice little feminine touch.

Now there are boxes in my kitchen. They left a path around the edges so I can sort of still move around in there. I can't open the dishwasher though.

Boxes in my dining room.
See all those boxes stacked there?
They are in front of light switch for this room


My room. With my mattress, which does not have plastic on it and does not crinkle when I turn over on it!!


We kept the dogs outside on the patio while the movers were bringing things in. When they unloaded our outdoor chairs, the mover was so scared of the dogs, he just leaned outside and dropped the chairs over the rails rather than actually step outside.

When they started putting the furniture together, we discovered that there were no nuts, bolts, screws, dowels......nothing. I have no idea what the packers in Kansas did with all the hardware for our furniture, but none of it has turned up yet. Usually they put the hardware in a bag and tape it to the item it goes to. Not this time. I swear every time we move, I learn one more thing that I have to watch for and tell them.

Luckily, the movers here had enough hardware to get almost everything together. Some of the beds have one bolt instead of two at each corner and will need to be reinforced later.

Amazingly, they managed to get Ben's mirror onto his dresser. That mirror has not been attached in six years! When we lived in North Carolina, he had a jungle themed room with bamboo on the walls and he didn't want the bamboo covered up by the mirror, so we left it off for the three years we were there

Then when we moved to Virginia, we couldn't find the hardware to attach it. We tried going to hardware stores and telling them what we needed and even showed them pictures. We were never successful in finding anything to attach the mirror to the dresser.

Lo and behold. The movers didn't know that we didn't have hardware for this mirror. They just thought the hardware was with everything else that is missing. I didn't realize they were even going to try to attach it. I walked back to Ben's room to see if the bed was put together and they were just finishing up getting the mirror on.

Will wonders never cease.

Comments

  1. I see you won't be bored for the next few days. I thought I would be there when it arrived, so I could help....oh, well. GG

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of our hardware this time was in the kitchen boxes...go figure!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ben's Feet

Ben went camping with his youth group this weekend. He said it was the best weekend he's had since we've been in Hawaii, and possibly in his entire life. The one negative part was that he stepped on some coral out in the water and cut his feet up pretty good. He swears it was all dead coral - you shouldn't touch live coral, much less walk on it because it damages the coral. No one ever mentions that it also damages your feet. They just tell you not to damage the coral. Also, coral is a living organism . If you step on live coral and a tiny piece breaks off in the cut, it will continue to grow. Did you see the movie Alien ? If some creature incubates in Ben's feet, then breaks out and eats us all one night, I'm going to be quite miffed. (Make sure you read the inscription on his tee shirt in this picture. It's quite appropriate.)

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o

A Week After Surgery

Katie went back to the surgeon yesterday to have her foot checked.  It was the first time we saw the stitches.  When we saw her after surgery, her foot was already wrapped up in three inches of gauze and it's been wrapped like that ever since. The doctor decided that the sutures were not quite ready to be removed. There are stitches in the side of her foot where they inserted one of the screws.  The surgeon told us that she has to be very, very, very careful not to put her foot on the ground.  Any pressure at all could cause the screws to shift or break and that would be very, very, very bad. They knew we were going out of town for the wedding this weekend.  In order to protect her foot as much as possible, she was put in a hard cast.  It will come back off on Monday so they can check the sutures again.  This cast has a very limited time to be signed! Katie may not get to have a lot of people sign her cast  but she currently still has the initials of the sur