Skip to main content

Renaissance Faire




We recently took some time out to go see the Renaissance Faire in St Louis.

Unfortunately, it was cloudy and gray which put something of a damper on the day, but at least it kept it from being overly hot.  We had to take refuge a few times in various buildings to escape the rain.

We tried a lot of the fun foods they offer at these events.  We ate roasted corn on the cob, pulled pork sandwiches, a fried Twinkie, a fried oreo, and an elephant ear.  We somehow missed the turkey legs this year.  They also had a fried pop tart that we wanted to check out, but we were stuffed.

We don't normally eat like that, but part of the fun of a faire is a good heart attack at the end of the day.

We always look forward to the jousting at ren faires, but unfortunately this wasn't a good day for it.

It wasn't safe to bring the horses out because of the slippery mud so they used toy stick ponies.

But even without horses, the knights kept falling in the mud.
Apparently, it wasn't safe for man nor beast.

So they ended up playing Rock, Paper, Scissors to the death!

Speaking of which, I don't know why I didn't get a picture, but I also slipped in the mud as we were walking down a slippery slope.  I managed to catch myself although I jarred the heck out of my right arm and right knee as I landed.  I was coated in mud and ruined one shoe and Kerry and Ben both looked at me and said, "We can't take you anywhere."

Two peas in a pod, my fellas.

A very nice drink vendor gave me some wet paper towels to clean all the mud off, and I just dealt with achey joints on my right side for the day.

I'm fine.  Really.  Don't worry about me.

Kerry and Katie tried their hand at throwing axes.

The fire eater!

I've always wondered how they do that.  He would pull the stick away and fire would sit on his tongue for a few seconds.  Do not try this at home.  Your face could end up looking like one of those marshmallows after you hold it over a fire.

I was very amused at the show because there was this guy eating fire, and the two little girls in the front row had found a caterpillar that had them completely entranced.

Fire Eater, Shmire Eater - look at this freaking caterpillar!

We also saw a juggling act - Thom the juggler, who was very funny.  We caught the last part of his act and enjoyed it so much, we went back later to see the whole thing.  I don't know why I don't have a picture of him.  His hair alone was worth seeing.


We also saw an amusing version of  Hamlet performed by the troup "Corsets and Codpieces".  Most of it was done in the style of The Cat In The Hat.  I know you can't imagine what that was like.  You kind of had to be there.  They called it "Green Eggs and Hamlet".

This vendor was selling knives and swords (we purchased Ben a sword for his birthday).  One sign said "Please do not be stupid" and the other said "Do not lick blades".  

It's kind of sad that they actually have to put signs up like that, but you know they have them up because people have already been stupid and people have already licked the blades on extremely sharp objects.

Can you imagine?

"Honey, I just cut my tongue off, lets go to the hospital."

Or more likely, "Oney, ah ust ut ah ong off, et's oh oo ee ahpihal."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ben's Feet

Ben went camping with his youth group this weekend. He said it was the best weekend he's had since we've been in Hawaii, and possibly in his entire life. The one negative part was that he stepped on some coral out in the water and cut his feet up pretty good. He swears it was all dead coral - you shouldn't touch live coral, much less walk on it because it damages the coral. No one ever mentions that it also damages your feet. They just tell you not to damage the coral. Also, coral is a living organism . If you step on live coral and a tiny piece breaks off in the cut, it will continue to grow. Did you see the movie Alien ? If some creature incubates in Ben's feet, then breaks out and eats us all one night, I'm going to be quite miffed. (Make sure you read the inscription on his tee shirt in this picture. It's quite appropriate.)

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o

A Week After Surgery

Katie went back to the surgeon yesterday to have her foot checked.  It was the first time we saw the stitches.  When we saw her after surgery, her foot was already wrapped up in three inches of gauze and it's been wrapped like that ever since. The doctor decided that the sutures were not quite ready to be removed. There are stitches in the side of her foot where they inserted one of the screws.  The surgeon told us that she has to be very, very, very careful not to put her foot on the ground.  Any pressure at all could cause the screws to shift or break and that would be very, very, very bad. They knew we were going out of town for the wedding this weekend.  In order to protect her foot as much as possible, she was put in a hard cast.  It will come back off on Monday so they can check the sutures again.  This cast has a very limited time to be signed! Katie may not get to have a lot of people sign her cast  but she currently still has the initials of the sur