Skip to main content

New Shoes

Katie and I both needed new walking shoes.  We took Kerry shopping with us because he is our expert on exercise footwear.  Being a serious runner, the man has been through so many pairs of running shoes, he knows what works and what doesn't.

His favorite brand is New Balance, so that's what we went hunting for.  I'm all about saving money though, and New Balance can be on the pricier end of the scale.

At the shoe store I found one pair of New Balance in colors that I liked - white with light blue trim.  Unfortunately, that was also Katie's favorite pair.  I didn't want us to wind up constantly wearing one wrong shoe (her foot is slightly longer than mine) so I decided to try on a cheaper brand.

I walked around in the cheaper shoe for a few minutes while Katie tried on several hundred different sizes of the one we both liked trying to find the right fit.  When she finally became disgruntled that they didn't have her size, I decided to try one on in my size.  

Wow!  What a difference!  While I had been pleased with the cheaper shoe I had been stomping around in, once I had the New Balance shoe on my foot, I knew I had found a winner.  It was like having a group of tiny angels on my feet carrying me around.  That shoe was glorious.

And about the time I put a ring on its finger and said "I do"...........
Katie found it in her size.

Uh oh.  I could see the constant problem of us looking inside the shoes to try to find the size only to discover it was no longer legible, realizing we each had on one incorrect size about the time it started to rub a blister, battling over who left their shoes downstairs and who left them upstairs.

The problems would never cease, the war in our otherwise peaceful home would tear us apart, and one of us (not me) would wind up on the street barefoot and homeless before it was all over.

Then my wonderfully brilliant husband came up with a marvelous idea which solved the crisis.....

.....we bought neon green laces for Katie's shoes.

Problem solved!

AND I had a coupon that let us buy both pair of shoes for half of what I would have paid for one pair at the PX.

But.......

......now I want neon laces too!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...