Skip to main content

Driver's Ed

Ben had to take Driver's Ed classes this week. When I was growing up, Driver's Ed was an optional course you could take if you wanted. Hawaii state law requires Driver's Ed if you are under the age of 18 and want to get a license.

I could have signed Ben up with the local high school but I understood from others who have gone before us that this could mean a wait of around eight months (homeschoolers obviously don't get first priority over the students who actually attend the high school). The course is thirty hours, and this means every Tuesday and Thursday night for weeks until all information has been covered. I wanted to just get this over with, so I signed Ben up for an intensive four-day course that one of his friends was also taking. We figured it was a good way to get the course out of the way quickly and he would know someone in the class. Hooray.

The first day, we arrived early. It was taking place at a local elementary school and, not being familiar with the area, I wanted to allow time to get lost and try to find our way around. When we pulled into the parking lot of the school, there were several tough looking local high schoolers standing around waiting for the class to start. Ben opted to wait in the car with me until his friend Alex showed up.

Unfortunately, Alex was running late, and I had another appointment I had get to. I finally looked at Ben and told him, "It's going to be really embarrassing when I am trying to shove you out of the car with my feet and you are hanging on to the edge screaming, 'No, Mommy! Don't leave me here!' "

He gave me a teenager look and went in. I paid the teacher an astronomical amount of money and verified the time. "I'm supposed to pick him up at 4:00?"

"No, we'll get out at 3:00," he told me.

Ben texted me later and told me they were getting out at 2:30.

When I picked him up I brightly asked what sort of things they had learned.

"We had to read chapters of the driver's manual and then act out scenes from it."

"The driver's manual that you studied in order to take your driver's exam? That manual? You just read it again and made skits out of it?"

"Yep. And we took an hour and a half for lunch and had several long breaks and it all counted as class time."

"Wow. Well I think you're supposed to watch several films about drinking and driving and stuff, so I bet all that comes tomorrow."

The next day they read the manual out loud to each other and then made road signs out of construction paper. Ben made a "deer crossing" sign because there are no deer in Hawaii. They got out at 2:30 again.

The next day, the instructor was sick so class was cancelled. He told us there would be a makeup day around Christmas time. I told Kerry I bet there would never be a makeup day.

The next day the teacher told us they really didn't need a makeup day and he let them out at 1:00. He bought Ben and Alex lunch because all the other teens left and walked to a fast food place nearby while Ben and Alex had brought sandwiches.

"He bought you lunch?" I was astounded.

"Yeah, we tried to say no but we really wanted to say yes so we weren't very emphatic with our no," Ben told me. "We're the only ones who don't swear in class and we speak up and answer the questions correctly so I think he likes us."

I asked him what they had done on the last day.

"We had our final exam. The teacher told us all to write down three questions we thought should be on the test. Then he asked us all those questions. He would read one question, we would write down the answer, then he would tell us what the answer should be and read us the next question."

"So if someone got it wrong, they could just change their answer?"

"Yep," Ben told me. "And some of them still got answers wrong. The teacher asked us what was the most important thing about driving then he told us, "It starts with "A" and ends with "-titude". One kid wrote down, "Check your mirrors".

One of the questions was, "What do you do when you come to a stop sign?"

Ben passed the class.

It was a total waste of time and money, but a requirement for him to get his license. Now he just has to go driving with his teacher for six hours and driving with his parents for fifty hours, ten of which must be after dark.

Pray for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ben's Feet

Ben went camping with his youth group this weekend. He said it was the best weekend he's had since we've been in Hawaii, and possibly in his entire life. The one negative part was that he stepped on some coral out in the water and cut his feet up pretty good. He swears it was all dead coral - you shouldn't touch live coral, much less walk on it because it damages the coral. No one ever mentions that it also damages your feet. They just tell you not to damage the coral. Also, coral is a living organism . If you step on live coral and a tiny piece breaks off in the cut, it will continue to grow. Did you see the movie Alien ? If some creature incubates in Ben's feet, then breaks out and eats us all one night, I'm going to be quite miffed. (Make sure you read the inscription on his tee shirt in this picture. It's quite appropriate.)

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o

A Week After Surgery

Katie went back to the surgeon yesterday to have her foot checked.  It was the first time we saw the stitches.  When we saw her after surgery, her foot was already wrapped up in three inches of gauze and it's been wrapped like that ever since. The doctor decided that the sutures were not quite ready to be removed. There are stitches in the side of her foot where they inserted one of the screws.  The surgeon told us that she has to be very, very, very careful not to put her foot on the ground.  Any pressure at all could cause the screws to shift or break and that would be very, very, very bad. They knew we were going out of town for the wedding this weekend.  In order to protect her foot as much as possible, she was put in a hard cast.  It will come back off on Monday so they can check the sutures again.  This cast has a very limited time to be signed! Katie may not get to have a lot of people sign her cast  but she currently still has the initials of the sur