Skip to main content

Room Makeover

While Ben was gone to camp for two weeks, I decided to "spruce up" his room a bit. Poor Ben is stuck in what used to be the "maid's quarters". It is two 6x6 rooms with a shower in between them and no closet.

We made one of the small rooms his actual bedroom, with a bed and a wardrobe so he would have a place to hang clothes.

I giggle when say that because Ben doesn't put anything on a clothes hanger unless threatened.

The other room is his "TV room".

I knew he wouldn't like anything "girly" or (heaven forbid) pretty in his room, so I tried to stick to an ocean theme and didn't add anything Chuck Norris would be opposed to. I added a poster of a scuba diver and a poster of sharks. Very non-girly.

I found these cool weathered looking letters at Pier 1. I was just going to spell out "Ben", but my friend Kim came up with the idea to spell "Surf". I so lack that kind of vision when it comes to decorating.

I got this large trunk for Ben to put all his crap....er.....I mean, miscellaneous items in. I didn't know this trunk was multi-functional though - turns out it also can be used as a coaster for your drink!


Then, the best thing I added to Ben's room......a papasan chair. He had been sitting on the floor with his back against the wall when he wanted to watch TV. I knew a comfy chair would be something he would really enjoy and appreciate.

He had no idea I was doing any of this and I had sworn the girls to secrecy.

We picked him up from camp and on the way home I mentioned to him that there was a lot of sand in his shower from the last time we had been to the beach. He said he would clean it up as soon as he could. He also mentioned that he had dibs on the computer since he had no Internet access for the past two weeks.

Two weeks without Facebook is a nightmare for a fifteen year old.

When we got home, Ben made a beeline for the computer. He didn't even take his bags to his room. The girls and I excitedly milled around for a bit waiting for him to go to his room and see his surprise.

Emily finally said, "Ben, you should see how much sand is in your shower! It's really a lot."

"I will," said Ben, not looking away from his email account.

A little later Katie said, "Ben, you really have to see how much sand is in your shower! You won't believe it!"

"Okay, but not right now," Ben said, not looking up from his Facebook account.

I told the girls to go change and get ready for bed, and that I would call them as soon as Ben started heading back to his room.

Thirty minutes after we arrived home, the girls and I marched up to Ben at the computer and I said, "BEN! You should REALLY see HOW much SAND is in your SHOWER!"

Ben looked at us like we were bananas, but he got up and walked back to his shower. He pulled the curtain aside and said, "Wow. Look at the sand." The he gave us the "are you happy now" look that teens throughout history have perfected so well.

"Open your door!" I exclaimed.

He walked into his bedroom, "Wow! Is that a new bedspread?"

"Yes!" I exclaimed. "And look at the poster of the scuba diver I put in here!"

He walked into his other room and noted the papasan and the new trunk.

Then he turned to me and said, "Mom, I promise I will be really excited about this tomorrow. Can I please finish checking my email now!?"

Emily looked at me and said, "Wow. If you had done that for me, I would be jumping up and down screaming."

Hold that thought Emily....................

To be continued......................

Comments

  1. Great Job! How does Ben like it since he has settled in??? GG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know exactly how Ben feels without facebook!!!!!!! its absolute torture to any teenager!!!!!!!!!!! but his room probably looked awesom!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am sending my thoughts and prayers your way!!!!!!!!
    -love kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really enjoying reading your blog - you write it so well and it's always entertaining and often gives me quite a chuckle. ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ben's Feet

Ben went camping with his youth group this weekend. He said it was the best weekend he's had since we've been in Hawaii, and possibly in his entire life. The one negative part was that he stepped on some coral out in the water and cut his feet up pretty good. He swears it was all dead coral - you shouldn't touch live coral, much less walk on it because it damages the coral. No one ever mentions that it also damages your feet. They just tell you not to damage the coral. Also, coral is a living organism . If you step on live coral and a tiny piece breaks off in the cut, it will continue to grow. Did you see the movie Alien ? If some creature incubates in Ben's feet, then breaks out and eats us all one night, I'm going to be quite miffed. (Make sure you read the inscription on his tee shirt in this picture. It's quite appropriate.)

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o

A Week After Surgery

Katie went back to the surgeon yesterday to have her foot checked.  It was the first time we saw the stitches.  When we saw her after surgery, her foot was already wrapped up in three inches of gauze and it's been wrapped like that ever since. The doctor decided that the sutures were not quite ready to be removed. There are stitches in the side of her foot where they inserted one of the screws.  The surgeon told us that she has to be very, very, very careful not to put her foot on the ground.  Any pressure at all could cause the screws to shift or break and that would be very, very, very bad. They knew we were going out of town for the wedding this weekend.  In order to protect her foot as much as possible, she was put in a hard cast.  It will come back off on Monday so they can check the sutures again.  This cast has a very limited time to be signed! Katie may not get to have a lot of people sign her cast  but she currently still has the initials of the sur