Skip to main content

When We First Decided to Homeschool

I often have people ask me if I "always" wanted to homeschool.

No.

I didn't ever want to homeschool. I know people who plan to homeschool from the moment they find out they are expecting a baby. They research curriculum, join message boards on-line, and start lessons when their kids are barely toddling.

I was not one of those people.

I wanted my kids to be normal.

And homeschooling is not normal. Not mainstream. Not what everyone is doing. Especially not ten years ago when we first started.

Ben actually went to a year of preschool. The entire year he was in preschool, I worried about which school I should send him to the next year. The preschool was independent, not attached to any school. So we had the choice of sending him to the local public school, the local private school, or putting him in another year of preschool since he was one of the youngest kids in his class.

I had one friend who homeschooled. She told me, "Ben is really smart. You should consider homeschooling him."

"Oh that's nice for you," I thought. "But I could never do that. I want my kids to be normal."

I started talking to other moms who had kids in school to find out what they thought of their kid's schools.

Actually I learned very quickly not to ask them about their schools outright. If you tell someone you are thinking of sending your kid to their school, they will tell you how much they love it. They will recite all the wonderful things their kids have learned and the projects they have worked on and the field trips they have taken. You will hear nothing but glowing reports about their school. Because then, if you choose their school as well, you have validated their choice.

What I did was stand in a group of women at any event I attended and just listen to them talk without telling them I was considering schools for the future. Invariably, they would talk about having to go in and argue with a teacher/principal/other parent about all the problems they were having with the schools. Kids were bullied, unfair punishments were meted out, homework was overwhelming, dirty rhymes were learned, classrooms were crowded, etc. etc. etc.

I would come home from these gatherings in agony at the thought of sending my angel faced baby off to these war trenches.

And all this time I kept hanging out with my homeschooling friend and her kids were so polite! They were mannerly, respectful, and actually looked me in the eye and talked to me when I was around. My friend's children who attended "real" school avoided adult contact like the plague and answered all questions in monosyllabic mumbles.

So, we started to consider it. I asked around and checked out curriculum. We thought about it some more. I listened to the homeschool moms talk. We prayed.

And then, we received a sign from heaven.

We found out that the state of Alaska would give us a computer and pay for our Internet if we decided to homeschool.

Now we weren't totally sold on the idea of homeschooling, but we really wanted a computer.

We decided it couldn't possibly ruin Ben if we tried homeschooling for a year. If it didn't work out, we would just put him in kindergarten the following year and it would be the same as if he'd had another year of preschool.

Decision made with full confidence!

Then one day I drove past the local elementary school and saw a sign out by the street that read, "LAST DAY TO REGISTER FOR KINDERGARTEN".

I nearly hyperventilated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ben's Feet

Ben went camping with his youth group this weekend. He said it was the best weekend he's had since we've been in Hawaii, and possibly in his entire life. The one negative part was that he stepped on some coral out in the water and cut his feet up pretty good. He swears it was all dead coral - you shouldn't touch live coral, much less walk on it because it damages the coral. No one ever mentions that it also damages your feet. They just tell you not to damage the coral. Also, coral is a living organism . If you step on live coral and a tiny piece breaks off in the cut, it will continue to grow. Did you see the movie Alien ? If some creature incubates in Ben's feet, then breaks out and eats us all one night, I'm going to be quite miffed. (Make sure you read the inscription on his tee shirt in this picture. It's quite appropriate.)

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o

A Week After Surgery

Katie went back to the surgeon yesterday to have her foot checked.  It was the first time we saw the stitches.  When we saw her after surgery, her foot was already wrapped up in three inches of gauze and it's been wrapped like that ever since. The doctor decided that the sutures were not quite ready to be removed. There are stitches in the side of her foot where they inserted one of the screws.  The surgeon told us that she has to be very, very, very careful not to put her foot on the ground.  Any pressure at all could cause the screws to shift or break and that would be very, very, very bad. They knew we were going out of town for the wedding this weekend.  In order to protect her foot as much as possible, she was put in a hard cast.  It will come back off on Monday so they can check the sutures again.  This cast has a very limited time to be signed! Katie may not get to have a lot of people sign her cast  but she currently still has the initials of the sur