Skip to main content

Miracles Still Happen

I love my kids. I really, really do. They are a blessing, they are a blessing, they are a blessing.  But sometimes they do things that really aggravate me.  Like putting ink pens in their pockets.  I never put a pen in my clothing.  It goes in my purse and my purse only.  I've tried to teach my children this simple rule:  the pen can go in your purse or backpack, you can clip it onto the front of a notebook, you can tuck it behind your ear, but you never, never, never insert it into your clothing.  Invariably, it gets forgotten and goes through the washer and dryer, where it explodes.

And when your mother opens the dryer, she explodes.

This is the inside door of the dryer.

This is the inside drum of the dryer.

Amazingly, there was not a ton of ink on the clothing.  It was largely a load of blue jeans so it wasn't showing up on the material.  There were a few spots on some tee shirts, but again nothing major.

But the inside of the dryer.  Oh.  It was bad.  

I tried various cleaners to no avail.  The most I got was a slight, very slight, purplish color on the rag.  Apparently ink doesn't come out of metal.  

I made everyone in the house come look at the damage.  I growled at them all.
They all denied any involvement.  I'm no fool, I narrowed it down to two culprits but since I couldn't prove which one it was I had to settle for trying to burn them to ashes with a steely gaze.
Then I stomped upstairs and flung myself on the bed in a snit for about twenty minutes until I could think calmly and no longer wanted to pack a bag and head for parts unknown.

Then, though I knew it was a lost cause, I googled it.

Low and behold, there is a solution.  Fingernail polish remover takes ink off a dryer.

I got my fingernail polish remover, still not believing it would really work, grabbed some cotton balls and did a test spot.  

It all came off.  Didn't even use elbow grease.


It did take quite a while to do the entire inside of the dryer.  And I think the fumes killed off a number of brain cells.  By the end, I would stand outside the laundry room, take a deep breath and hold it and dash back in and rub as much as I could until I needed to run out and take another breath.  

It was a laundry miracle on a Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ben's Feet

Ben went camping with his youth group this weekend. He said it was the best weekend he's had since we've been in Hawaii, and possibly in his entire life. The one negative part was that he stepped on some coral out in the water and cut his feet up pretty good. He swears it was all dead coral - you shouldn't touch live coral, much less walk on it because it damages the coral. No one ever mentions that it also damages your feet. They just tell you not to damage the coral. Also, coral is a living organism . If you step on live coral and a tiny piece breaks off in the cut, it will continue to grow. Did you see the movie Alien ? If some creature incubates in Ben's feet, then breaks out and eats us all one night, I'm going to be quite miffed. (Make sure you read the inscription on his tee shirt in this picture. It's quite appropriate.)

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o

A Week After Surgery

Katie went back to the surgeon yesterday to have her foot checked.  It was the first time we saw the stitches.  When we saw her after surgery, her foot was already wrapped up in three inches of gauze and it's been wrapped like that ever since. The doctor decided that the sutures were not quite ready to be removed. There are stitches in the side of her foot where they inserted one of the screws.  The surgeon told us that she has to be very, very, very careful not to put her foot on the ground.  Any pressure at all could cause the screws to shift or break and that would be very, very, very bad. They knew we were going out of town for the wedding this weekend.  In order to protect her foot as much as possible, she was put in a hard cast.  It will come back off on Monday so they can check the sutures again.  This cast has a very limited time to be signed! Katie may not get to have a lot of people sign her cast  but she currently still has the initials of the sur