Skip to main content

Penguins In Hawaii

Who would have thought??

Before we moved here, I knew a family who had been stationed here for three years and I remember them telling me that there was a penguin exhibit at one of the hotels. In all the time we've been here, I have never heard of the penguin exhibit. I finally googled it this week and discovered it is at the Hilton Hawaiian Village which we have walked all around a dozen times, but never went inside because, you know, we have a house, and we don't go wandering into the hotels willy-nilly. However, after this experience, I might need to go check more of them out!

There is a gorgeous waterfall out front which cascades over a really cool rock formation. Once we were inside, I was astounded to see that there are many shops set up to look like you are wandering through the streets of a charming little village. That's probably why they call it Hilton Hawaiian Village. Duh. I don't know why I didn't wonder about the name before but let me tell you - I'm going back to take pictures and write all about it later. The pool area alone deserves a sonnet. And there's a Christmas ornament I'm itching to go back and get my hands on but the guys didn't want to let me go in any of the shops for fear they'd never make it to the penguin exhibit. I've got to sneak over there before they put away all their Christmas merchandise. Don't tell Kerry, he might try to stop me from spending more money.

The penguin exhibit is small, but a lot of fun to look at. There are turtles and koi in the exhibit. The penguins mostly just seemed to want to stand around and look at each other, but one fellow decided to go for a swim much to the delight of the crowd. I lived in Alaska for three years too, and only saw penguins in the zoo and actually I think they might have been puffins. Know why? 'Cause penguins only live in the southern hemisphere. That's your homeschool lesson for the day.

You're welcome.

They also have live flamingos at the Hilton. I thought they were fake. They were standing perfectly still and looked remarkably like lawn ornaments. Then one decided to meander around a bit and I realized they were real. They actually do stand on one leg just like the plastic ones.

On a side note, when I moved into an apartment after college, I found a pink flamingo bathroom set. The shower curtain had flamingos all over it there was a flamingo shaped rug, flamingo shaped soap dish and even a flamingo shaped toilet brush. You would have to take the flamingo by the neck to scrub out the toilet. I thought it was hilarious but my roommate said no.

I'm not bitter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ben's Feet

Ben went camping with his youth group this weekend. He said it was the best weekend he's had since we've been in Hawaii, and possibly in his entire life. The one negative part was that he stepped on some coral out in the water and cut his feet up pretty good. He swears it was all dead coral - you shouldn't touch live coral, much less walk on it because it damages the coral. No one ever mentions that it also damages your feet. They just tell you not to damage the coral. Also, coral is a living organism . If you step on live coral and a tiny piece breaks off in the cut, it will continue to grow. Did you see the movie Alien ? If some creature incubates in Ben's feet, then breaks out and eats us all one night, I'm going to be quite miffed. (Make sure you read the inscription on his tee shirt in this picture. It's quite appropriate.)

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o

A Week After Surgery

Katie went back to the surgeon yesterday to have her foot checked.  It was the first time we saw the stitches.  When we saw her after surgery, her foot was already wrapped up in three inches of gauze and it's been wrapped like that ever since. The doctor decided that the sutures were not quite ready to be removed. There are stitches in the side of her foot where they inserted one of the screws.  The surgeon told us that she has to be very, very, very careful not to put her foot on the ground.  Any pressure at all could cause the screws to shift or break and that would be very, very, very bad. They knew we were going out of town for the wedding this weekend.  In order to protect her foot as much as possible, she was put in a hard cast.  It will come back off on Monday so they can check the sutures again.  This cast has a very limited time to be signed! Katie may not get to have a lot of people sign her cast  but she currently still has the initials of the sur