Skip to main content

The Yogurt Incident

A friend of ours had a daughter who was graduating last night.  We decided to go to the ceremony to wish her well.  And since Emily is graduating in one week, it gave me a chance to watch a ceremony and prepare myself emotionally (it didn't help, I teared up as soon as the graduates walked out and then sniffled off and on through the entire ceremony).

This was a very nice ceremony - the men wore suits and ties, the girls wore dresses and there was a wonderful reception afterwards with wonderful, wonderful treats to eat.

They had Gouda cheese and Havarti dill, homemade cookies, cake, fruit trays (on real silver and clearly not bought at Walmart), cream puffs,.........

.....and these.

"These" were little boats of vanilla yogurt with fresh blueberries on top.  I took one bite and it was like being in heaven.  It was glorious!  I knew Katie would love it, so I sought her out in the crowd to have her try it.

I found Emily, Katie, and Kerry talking to each other and walked straight up to them, "Katie, you are going to LOVE this, you have to try a bite!"

I handed her the cup of yogurt, but somehow I didn't communicate who was actually taking possession of it.  I thought she had it; she thought I had it.  Instead, released by all, it plummeted straight to the hard floor of the church hall and exploded like a mushroom cloud over the four of us.

I seriously did not know yogurt could do that.

The cup landed closest to me and I was the hardest hit.  I was liberally sprayed with yogurt from the feet up.  It was all the way up my shirt, on my glasses, and in my hair.

I looked at Katie in shock and she looked back at me with horror.  I noticed yogurt in her hair, on her neck,  and on the front of her dress.

Kerry started laughing.

Suddenly, a girl of about ten years, materialized in front of me and snapped a picture with her iPhone.

At that point, I had to start laughing too.  If I looked crazy enough to have a random kid snap a photo of me, it must have been pretty bad.  One of the hosts came over and politely asked what happened.  Katie and I pointed at each other.  People nearby grabbed napkins and started wiping the floor.

Kerry was trying to wipe yogurt out of my hair, I was trying to get it off my shirt and glasses while I also randomly dabbed at Katie as I spotted more on her.  Emily was in hysterics.  "It's....it's...it's in every crevice of your ear!" she laughed while wiping the front of her dress.

We finally got ourselves cleaned up enough to move away from the danger zone and act like we didn't know something had happened.  Every so often one of them would tell me, "Oops, there's some more in your hair right there."  Every time someone new looked at me, I started wiping my hair and face thinking that they must be looking at more yogurt on me.  Once I started walking around, I discovered I had yogurt between every toe on both feet.  My sandals squished for the rest of the evening.

About twenty minutes later I walked up behind Emily and noticed several blobs of yogurt on the back of her hair.  Then I walked up to Kerry as he was talking to another dad and found another two spots on the back of his shirt.

Yogurt is apparently like luggage, you can't get rid of it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ben's Feet

Ben went camping with his youth group this weekend. He said it was the best weekend he's had since we've been in Hawaii, and possibly in his entire life. The one negative part was that he stepped on some coral out in the water and cut his feet up pretty good. He swears it was all dead coral - you shouldn't touch live coral, much less walk on it because it damages the coral. No one ever mentions that it also damages your feet. They just tell you not to damage the coral. Also, coral is a living organism . If you step on live coral and a tiny piece breaks off in the cut, it will continue to grow. Did you see the movie Alien ? If some creature incubates in Ben's feet, then breaks out and eats us all one night, I'm going to be quite miffed. (Make sure you read the inscription on his tee shirt in this picture. It's quite appropriate.)

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o

A Week After Surgery

Katie went back to the surgeon yesterday to have her foot checked.  It was the first time we saw the stitches.  When we saw her after surgery, her foot was already wrapped up in three inches of gauze and it's been wrapped like that ever since. The doctor decided that the sutures were not quite ready to be removed. There are stitches in the side of her foot where they inserted one of the screws.  The surgeon told us that she has to be very, very, very careful not to put her foot on the ground.  Any pressure at all could cause the screws to shift or break and that would be very, very, very bad. They knew we were going out of town for the wedding this weekend.  In order to protect her foot as much as possible, she was put in a hard cast.  It will come back off on Monday so they can check the sutures again.  This cast has a very limited time to be signed! Katie may not get to have a lot of people sign her cast  but she currently still has the initials of the sur