Skip to main content

Snorkeling at Sharks Cove

My sister Sherry came to visit recently and we took her snorkeling at Shark's Cove on the North Shore.

That makes us sound brave, doesn't it? Snorkeling with sharks.

Fortunately there weren't any sharks. I would have come screaming out of that water if there were. Even though they say if you don't bother the sharks, they won't bother you, I'm not taking any chances. I've seen "Jaws", I know what I know.

Sharks Cove is made up of two very different areas. There is a very open area where lots of scuba divers head out into the ocean and the brave snorkelers go. Conceivably, there could be some sharks over there. See how it opens up into the ocean? Looks like a big candy jar to sharks.

Full of candy with a soft, chewy center.

Just kidding.

Maybe.

The other portion of Shark's Cove is rocky as all get out. You definitely want to wear reef walkers, or you'll be staggering around all those rocks as you try to wade out to a good snorkeling spot. Those rocks hurt, and there is no getting around them.

As you get a little further out, you'll find areas close to the wall where the water is well over your head and the fish are swimming by the gazillions. I've snorkeled in a lot of places, but I don't think I've ever seen as many fish as I did the day we went to Shark's Cove. It really was incredible. You can just float face down and watch the fish until someone jumps in and hauls you out because they think you've perished. It's very relaxing.

Like most places near the ocean, you do have to use caution. I found this video on YouTube (it's not mine). I can't tell for sure if it's Shark's Cove, but it looks like it is to me.

Be safe. Don't turn your back on the ocean.

But go snorkeling here. You won't regret it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...