Skip to main content
We were awakened this morning by the air raid sirens. It was 6:00 A.M. and my first thought was, "One of these days those things are going to go off in a real emergency, and no one is going to pay any attention because they test them so often."

Then the phone rang.

It was my mother, and her first words were, "Did the sirens wake you up, or did I?"

My second thought of the morning was, "Are there sirens going off on the East Coast too?" How else could she know about the sirens?

Turns out there is a tsunami heading toward us.

We hopped up and turned on the news. We knew immediately that we are not in the danger zone. We are too far inland for any wave to come this far. Our main concern is loss of power. When the power goes out on an island, there are no other states nearby from which to pull power until the problem is fixed.

Fortunately, I try to be prepared for this sort of thing. I have a shelf of canned goods and non-perishable items in our pantry which will keep us supplied for a number of days without power. Also, as a little extra blessing from God, I had just been to Costco earlier this week and purchased toilet paper and paper towels, I had just filled up the car with gas yesterday, Kerry just pulled out some cash yesterday, and we have a nearly full propane tank on the grill.

The only thing we don't have backed up is water. I scrubbed the tub first thing this morning so we can fill it up before the tsunami hits (in two hours). That can be dishwashing and cleaning water. Kerry and I then headed out to the commissary in hopes that it had opened early.

It had. And many other people had already shown up also. We couldn't get a buggy (that's a shopping cart to some of you) to save our lives so Kerry and I split up. He went for batteries, I went for produce. There was no water to be had. I jumped in the express line with my arms full. We needed more, but I couldn't hold anything else with no buggy. I had left my phone in the car and couldn't call Kerry to tell him where I was, I just had to hope he would pass by me at some point. A very nice man in front of me got me a tinfoil turkey roasting pan for me to put my groceries in so I wouldn't drop them, and then he loaned me his cell phone so I could call Kerry. When Kerry found me in line, he had managed to procure bottled water. Then he saved our place in line while I gathered a few more items. My watch stopped while we were there, then the nose guard fell off my glasses which stopped all traffic around me for a few minutes while we searched for it. This just didn't seem to bode well.

Thank God for the military community. Although the commissary was packed to the gills, everyone was (mostly) well-behaved, calm, and helpful. We heard that people were panicking and fighting at Wal-mart.

A lady who gave up and decided to leave gave me and Kerry her buggy. Then we were really able to get a few more items. A lady with a baby passed by us and mentioned that they were out of water and the man in line behind me gave her a pack of his water bottles.

Kerry got a call that he had to go in to work, so he left me to man the buggy and walked home to get his uniform and head in.

I was in line for an hour and a half. The line snaked up and down five aisles. When I finally got to the registers I breathed, "It's so.....so...beautiful up here!"

A man near me had a pack of Nutter Butter cookies in his buggy. "Oh, I wish I had thought to get cookies!" I said.

He gave them to me.

I tried not to take them, but he insisted. Now I have delicious cookies too!

When we arrived at the commissary this morning, there was no line to get in. When I left the commissary, there was a line of people waiting just to get in the door. It was a loooooooong line. Thank heavens we went early.

Please pray for the safety of the people on the island, especially the homeless population. Many of them live right on the beach.

And pray for the safety of our military and citizens who may be involved in a disaster relief mission before the day is out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ben's Feet

Ben went camping with his youth group this weekend. He said it was the best weekend he's had since we've been in Hawaii, and possibly in his entire life. The one negative part was that he stepped on some coral out in the water and cut his feet up pretty good. He swears it was all dead coral - you shouldn't touch live coral, much less walk on it because it damages the coral. No one ever mentions that it also damages your feet. They just tell you not to damage the coral. Also, coral is a living organism . If you step on live coral and a tiny piece breaks off in the cut, it will continue to grow. Did you see the movie Alien ? If some creature incubates in Ben's feet, then breaks out and eats us all one night, I'm going to be quite miffed. (Make sure you read the inscription on his tee shirt in this picture. It's quite appropriate.)

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o

A Week After Surgery

Katie went back to the surgeon yesterday to have her foot checked.  It was the first time we saw the stitches.  When we saw her after surgery, her foot was already wrapped up in three inches of gauze and it's been wrapped like that ever since. The doctor decided that the sutures were not quite ready to be removed. There are stitches in the side of her foot where they inserted one of the screws.  The surgeon told us that she has to be very, very, very careful not to put her foot on the ground.  Any pressure at all could cause the screws to shift or break and that would be very, very, very bad. They knew we were going out of town for the wedding this weekend.  In order to protect her foot as much as possible, she was put in a hard cast.  It will come back off on Monday so they can check the sutures again.  This cast has a very limited time to be signed! Katie may not get to have a lot of people sign her cast  but she currently still has the initials of the sur