Skip to main content

Genius

Emily's a genius.  I've said it before and I'll say it again:

She's had the highest score in every class she's ever taken.  She has a fabulous philosophy that if anyone else in a class is doing well, she must crush them with better scores.

She's been writing full length novels since she was eleven.

She made the highest possible score on the Language Arts portion of the college entrance exam when she had only just completed tenth grade.  There's only one score you can make to be able to skip ENG 101 and she made it.

She's been taking an upper level Shakespeare class at the local community college and although we don't have her final grade yet, she's relatively certain she's made an A+.  She's also the only student to have not missed a single class and to have turned in every assignment.

But unfortunately, with all that brilliance bouncing around in her noggin, she occasionally looses her mind and usually at the worst possible moment.

Yesterday, we went to the college to register her for next semester.  Last semester, Emily had just taken the placement test and the counselor we saw was completely blown away by her scores and raved to us about how brilliant she is.

This time, we saw a different counselor, who had not seen Emily's scores and didn't even know that she had already taken the placement test.  She only knew (after I told her) that Emily is a homeschooler who has already passed all the requirements for dual-enrollment.  Side note here:  for dual enrollment, the college requires a form signed by the student's high school principal, teacher, and parent.  So I have to give them a form signed by me, me, and me.  *snark*

The counselor, who doesn't know if Emily is smart or has social skills what with her being homeschooled and all, hands Emily some papers to fill out while she looks on the computer to find a history class that will fit our schedule.

Emily looks at me and says, "What's our phone number?"  I tell her and she writes it down.  To be fair, she hardly ever uses our home phone number.  She does have all of our cell phone numbers memorized.  I still have to stop and think for a moment to remember what our current home phone number is.

Then Emily can't remember her social security number and rather than dig out her ID to get it, she tries to read her social security number upside down off the papers the counselor is looking at.

Then she asks me what county we live in and I tell her.  We move a lot and frankly all of us have trouble remembering what our current zip code is, much less what county we're in.  But I'm aware at this point that the counselor might be wondering why Emily doesn't know basic information that most college students probably have memorized.  I smile weakly at the counselor hoping we were past most  of the items that Emily is suddenly having trouble recalling.

Then with a nervous laugh Emily looks at me and said, "Umm.....what year is it?"

Comments

  1. That is hilarious!!!! Did she get in a class????? I'm sure she did.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ben's Feet

Ben went camping with his youth group this weekend. He said it was the best weekend he's had since we've been in Hawaii, and possibly in his entire life. The one negative part was that he stepped on some coral out in the water and cut his feet up pretty good. He swears it was all dead coral - you shouldn't touch live coral, much less walk on it because it damages the coral. No one ever mentions that it also damages your feet. They just tell you not to damage the coral. Also, coral is a living organism . If you step on live coral and a tiny piece breaks off in the cut, it will continue to grow. Did you see the movie Alien ? If some creature incubates in Ben's feet, then breaks out and eats us all one night, I'm going to be quite miffed. (Make sure you read the inscription on his tee shirt in this picture. It's quite appropriate.)

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o

A Week After Surgery

Katie went back to the surgeon yesterday to have her foot checked.  It was the first time we saw the stitches.  When we saw her after surgery, her foot was already wrapped up in three inches of gauze and it's been wrapped like that ever since. The doctor decided that the sutures were not quite ready to be removed. There are stitches in the side of her foot where they inserted one of the screws.  The surgeon told us that she has to be very, very, very careful not to put her foot on the ground.  Any pressure at all could cause the screws to shift or break and that would be very, very, very bad. They knew we were going out of town for the wedding this weekend.  In order to protect her foot as much as possible, she was put in a hard cast.  It will come back off on Monday so they can check the sutures again.  This cast has a very limited time to be signed! Katie may not get to have a lot of people sign her cast  but she currently still has the initials of the sur