Skip to main content

Hearing Issues

I had to go to the ENT this week.  My hearing hasn't been great since I was a young'un and it has gotten to the point where everyone has to repeat what they are saying to me a couple of times before I actually get it.  Or, I just smile and nod when everyone else is smiling and nodding.

I had a hearing test done at the military clinic near me.  They confirmed that I have a hearing loss and that it's worse in my left ear than in my right ear (all of which I informed them when I arrived, and they re-informed me after the test).

Then I was referred to Tripler to the ENT department which sometimes takes over an hour to get to becaue of traffic.  It took a month to get this appointment and I went early, because parking is a booger at Tripler.  Amazingly, I got a parking spot really quickly and wound up being thirty minutes early for my appointment.

I went ahead and checked in, then happily settled down in the waiting room.  I had a book with me and because I was so early, I knew I'd be there for a while. 

An hour later, I was less happy.  I went to the receptionist and informed her that it was thirty minutes past my appointment time and I was feeling hungry and mean.  She told me she would check on it.  She came back a few minutes later and apologetically told me, "Ma'am they said they called you and you didn't answer."

I looked at her incredulously.  "You mean at the appointment where I'm being evaluated for hearing loss, they didn't think to call me loud enough for me to hear them??"

I found that highly irritating.  Surely at the EAR, Nose and Throat clinic, they often see people who have hearing issues.  I can't possibly be the first. They pulled my file and shortly a young gal with a very soft voice came out and called me. 

"I called you before," she softly told me.  "Did you maybe go to the bathroom?"

"No, I've been in that same chair for an hour.  I did not go to the bathroom." 

Then I saw the doctor who was so young he must have graduated medical school the day before and he very happily informed me that I have a hearing loss in both ears but more so in the left ear.

"Really?  How surprising.  I just can't believe it!"

Then he told me to make an appointment with the clinic near me again because they will need to see me about something next.  I'm sure whatever he said was important, but I couldn't really hear him.

Comments

  1. Hi Amy,
    Just a heads up for you after this experience. I have a hearing loss. My stems from heredity on my father's side. But my loss wasn't noticeable until people needed to be in front of me and speak to me and I unconsciously was beginning to read lips. My original loss was considered 20% then age 45 it was starting to get worse each year. I went to the ENT doctor, yep I had a hearing loss. Yep it was worse in my right ear. Fortunately, I had to start going to a primary care doctor because we were now covered by an HMO system. He was an old fashioned wonderful doctor. He said why not go to the guy in this building who makes hearing aids. Reluctantly I made an appointment. He took me within the hour. He tested me. Said I had a cookie bite hearing loss which is quite a normal loss and had it all documented as to the amount. (note here experience with this man was 100% better than the ENT doctor route) For your sake I will tell who this man is because I think you are headed to this area. Jeb Donahue with Hull Hearing Aid -- Falls Church, VA. His son and daughter both now work with him and I'm not sure how much he personally is doing but every time I get back to VA I see him. He made my first set. He no longer does that, because it's too time consuming and he has a large following. The ones I have now are digital and I've had them 4 years and never had a problem. He knows his brands and what's proper for each person. His comment to me at first was you hear out of two ears it makes sense to have two hearing aids. I never regretted that choice. I had a friend with me to listen to everything he said that first time. Good luck with the move and I hope this information helps you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ben's Feet

Ben went camping with his youth group this weekend. He said it was the best weekend he's had since we've been in Hawaii, and possibly in his entire life. The one negative part was that he stepped on some coral out in the water and cut his feet up pretty good. He swears it was all dead coral - you shouldn't touch live coral, much less walk on it because it damages the coral. No one ever mentions that it also damages your feet. They just tell you not to damage the coral. Also, coral is a living organism . If you step on live coral and a tiny piece breaks off in the cut, it will continue to grow. Did you see the movie Alien ? If some creature incubates in Ben's feet, then breaks out and eats us all one night, I'm going to be quite miffed. (Make sure you read the inscription on his tee shirt in this picture. It's quite appropriate.)

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o

A Week After Surgery

Katie went back to the surgeon yesterday to have her foot checked.  It was the first time we saw the stitches.  When we saw her after surgery, her foot was already wrapped up in three inches of gauze and it's been wrapped like that ever since. The doctor decided that the sutures were not quite ready to be removed. There are stitches in the side of her foot where they inserted one of the screws.  The surgeon told us that she has to be very, very, very careful not to put her foot on the ground.  Any pressure at all could cause the screws to shift or break and that would be very, very, very bad. They knew we were going out of town for the wedding this weekend.  In order to protect her foot as much as possible, she was put in a hard cast.  It will come back off on Monday so they can check the sutures again.  This cast has a very limited time to be signed! Katie may not get to have a lot of people sign her cast  but she currently still has the initials of the sur