Skip to main content

Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives

My friend Casey likes to eat at Opal's Thai Restaurant in Haleiwa. She was in there last week when the owner told her that Diner's, Drive-Ins, and Dives would be featuring Opal's on their show. He invited Casey and her family to be there for the filming. Her husband couldn't make it that day, so she asked me to come along.

There were a number of people who had been invited to come see the fun and the restaurant is really small, so I had a feeling from the beginning that we would never make it inside. Guy Fieri, the host of the show, was inside already, sampling dishes and being filmed.

One of the crew members talked to all of us and explained that they would take us in a few at the time to interview us about the food. They told us we would not actually be able to place orders, they would just put food in front of us. We were all cool with that.

He immediately zeroed in on two young soldiers who were standing near us and decided they would be great to interview on camera. "Excuse me, sir," he started off, then paused, then stammered, "Uh....I mean ma'am. I'm sorry!" With their uniforms and short hair, he had mistaken their gender and we were all quite amused for a minute as he apologized.

We got to watch Guy Fieri as he came out to do the opening shot for the segment. It was quite entertaining to watch as they had to do a couple of practices and then when they got around to actually filming it, people kept wandering into the shot in the background and they would have to start over. It's a lot of work to get ten seconds of usable film!

After an hour and a half, Casey's kids were hungry and we felt it might be quite a while before the whole thing was done, so we decided to bail and go get lunch somewhere else and get the kids out of the sun. So we never made it into an interview and I won't be spotted by a Hollywood producer who sees me in a background shot of a restaurant and leaps up yelling, "She's the one I've been looking for to replace Julia Roberts in my next film!"

It's okay. I'm not bitter.

Comments

  1. Diners, Drive-ins and Dives(DDD, The Triple D) are a United State American food television series show. The host of this show is Guy Fieri.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...