Skip to main content

Kite Surfing

One of the funny things (to me) about Kerry is that if he really likes something, he always really likes it. He never gets tired of the same thing over and over (which is good news for me - I shouldn't be replaced with a newer model any time soon). The man was thrilled with Velveeta cheese dip the first time he had it around 19 years ago, and to this day when we are planning what to cook for guests who are coming over he will invariably suggest that I make Velveeta cheese dip. He just knows everyone else will be as thrilled as he is over it.

We live on an island with lots of exotic restaurants, most of which serve an amazing variety of seafood served in fabulous ways you can't even imagine until you've tried it.

He was thrilled, thrilled I tell you, to discover there is a Red Lobster in Honolulu.

Really?

We could eat at Red Lobster anywhere in the country (and have, quite frankly) and he still wants to try the one here. I'm all about new experiences and trying things we haven't had before. Kerry is all about comfort food and happy memories.

(To be fair, our first sort-of date was at Red Lobster. Although neither of us knew it was a date at the time, there was no hand-holding, no good night kiss, and no mention of us liking each other, Red Lobster was where I first looked across the table at my good friend Kerry, and thought, "He's cute. Why haven't I noticed that before?" So it holds a special place in his heart, and he likes going there.)

So after we were rained out of our hike, and we still had some time to kill before we could pick up Ben at the airport and head to the hotel, Kerry said, "Let's go to the beach."

Now, we live on a small island. We are never more than 20 minutes from the beach. We have spent tons of time at the beach and frankly, we are beached out. The kids don't really love the beach anymore unless their friends are there for them to interact with.

But, Kerry and I grew up far away from the beach. The beach was something wonderful and any time you had a chance to go it was a fabulous opportunity and you spent as much time on the beach and in the water as you could, because you never knew when you might have another chance.

I'm over it.

Kerry is not.

But.....Kerry doesn't get to go to the beach as often as the kids and I do. The first year we lived here, the kids and I went to the beach all the time; Kerry was in Afghanistan. We can go to the beach during the week if any of our homeschool friends all want to go; Kerry has to work. We go with anyone during the summer while we aren't doing school; Kerry has to work.

So, with that in mind, we agreed to go to the beach and let Kerry soak up all that beachiness that he so loves.

Amazingly, we happened to spot a large group of people kitesurfing.

I haven't seen this very often. I'm not sure I've ever actually seen it up close.

It was entrancing to watch these people speed along the water, leap high into the air, and flip around. I don't know how they kept from being drug out to sea but they all seemed to know what they were doing and managed to make it back to shore.

And Kerry was able to relax and unwind and that's what really counted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ben's Feet

Ben went camping with his youth group this weekend. He said it was the best weekend he's had since we've been in Hawaii, and possibly in his entire life. The one negative part was that he stepped on some coral out in the water and cut his feet up pretty good. He swears it was all dead coral - you shouldn't touch live coral, much less walk on it because it damages the coral. No one ever mentions that it also damages your feet. They just tell you not to damage the coral. Also, coral is a living organism . If you step on live coral and a tiny piece breaks off in the cut, it will continue to grow. Did you see the movie Alien ? If some creature incubates in Ben's feet, then breaks out and eats us all one night, I'm going to be quite miffed. (Make sure you read the inscription on his tee shirt in this picture. It's quite appropriate.)

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o

A Week After Surgery

Katie went back to the surgeon yesterday to have her foot checked.  It was the first time we saw the stitches.  When we saw her after surgery, her foot was already wrapped up in three inches of gauze and it's been wrapped like that ever since. The doctor decided that the sutures were not quite ready to be removed. There are stitches in the side of her foot where they inserted one of the screws.  The surgeon told us that she has to be very, very, very careful not to put her foot on the ground.  Any pressure at all could cause the screws to shift or break and that would be very, very, very bad. They knew we were going out of town for the wedding this weekend.  In order to protect her foot as much as possible, she was put in a hard cast.  It will come back off on Monday so they can check the sutures again.  This cast has a very limited time to be signed! Katie may not get to have a lot of people sign her cast  but she currently still has the initials of the sur