Skip to main content

A Date With My Daughter


Last night Katie and I were on our own. Ben and Kerry were camping and Emily was at a friend's sleepover. I thought it would be a great time for us to do something special, just the two of us.

There is a Thai restaurant that Katie loves, but we rarely go there because Emily hates it. So this was the perfect opportunity for us to eat there and go to see "How To Train Your Dragon" (in 3D!) afterwards.

After we ordered our food, I decided to get to know Katie's latest preferences. I discovered Katie does not like to confine herself to one answer.

"What's your favorite food?"

"I don't know. There are so many foods I like."

"Okay, if it were your birthday and I was going to make you anything you wanted for dinner or take you to any restaurant you picked, what would you eat?"

"Ummmm......meatballs, or pizza, or steak, or soup, or hamburgers, or shrimp."

"What's your favorite color?"

"Purple, pink, blue, red, and black."

"What's your favorite TV show?"

"Fetch With Ruff Ruffman which is an educational show so it's good for me. And Cyberchase which is also a learning show so it's good for me too."

"What's your favorite subject in school?"

"Language Arts, Cursive, Reading, Science, and Math............in that order. Can we move the candle closer to us?"

"I don't think we should mess with the candle. Remember how you burned your hand last week on the candle at home? Candles aren't meant to be touched or moved once they've been burning for a while because the wax is melted and could spill on you."

"Um......I need to tell you something. Um.......the reason I burned my hand is because I stuck a piece of tissue in the candle. I didn't think the flame would go as high as it did. So I put the lid on the candle to stop it, but then I couldn't get the lid back off. It was when I put my other hand on the candle jar to pull the lid back off that I burned my hand."

"You put tissue in the candle?"

""Yes ma'am."

"Well, what lesson did you learn from all this?"

"Um.............."

"Don't play with fire."

"Oh. Yeah."

Comments

  1. she is so awesome..I have a couple of kids that are awesome in the same way, yet in their own individual way!
    Trina

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's our Katie!!! GG

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Japanese Fishing Shrine

Here's an interesting little spot we stopped to see. I'd passed this many times before and had never stopped to see what it was. Since GG and Sherry were here, we decided to check it out. There is a shrine of some sort with a statue and a carved rock. There was no information on sight as to what it is that I could find. There were flowers, food and incense left around the base of the shrine. There was a ceramic statue and a rock with a figure carved into it. None of the food was old or rotting (although plenty of it had clearly been pecked by birds) and the flowers were all fresh which made me think it must be cleaned and cared for on a regular basis. After we got home, I did some research and found this article about it from the Hawaii Star Bulletin, our local newspaper (I have edited out some bits, but otherwise the article is unchanged): "Maintenance" of the monument has been assumed by a group of Vietnamese Buddhists - Shingon Shu Hawaii, the Buddhist temple th...