Skip to main content

Proud Mama Moment



My son just got back from a scout camping trip with his Boy Scout Troop. This was his first camping trip with this troop since we moved here.

I spotted him climbing out of one of the vehicles and walked over to chat about the trip. The man who had been driving the truck from which Ben had just emerged came over to meet me. He said, "Your son is just great! He climbed in the truck, introduced himself to everyone, and got all the boys playing games on the way there. He's really a fine example of a scout!" My first reaction was to say, "No, this is my son right here.....I don't know which boy you are talking about." Actually I didn't say that, I managed to stop the words before they leaped out of my mouth. I did give Ben a "look" and he gave me a huge cheese eating grin. I wanted to tell that scout master that Ben's favorite game to play with his sisters is "Let's See How Much I Can Aggravate You Before You Scream" but I'm assuming that's not the one he played with the scouts on the trip.

I'll admit, he's one of the most social kids I've ever known. As much as we have moved, I guess he has learned to just waltz into a group and make friends with no inhibitions. I still can't do that. When we moved to Virginia (two years ago), he was elected Patrol Leader over the entire Husky Patrol only three months after we arrived. I've often wondered if there were other boys in the troop who had been planning on being patrol leader some day only to have this new guy come in take over. But he is just one of those people everyone seems to just like. He's got a great sense of humor and I think that goes far in winning people over. Even I can't stay mad at him for long because when someone makes you laugh it's hard to keep fussing. If I could just figure out how to get him to quit trying to boss his sisters around...................Ah well, I'm sure if I could find a cure for that I'd be richer than Bill Gates!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...