Skip to main content

Rice With Breakfast

This morning we took the kids to a big breakfast buffet. Everyone ate their fill and we headed out to take Kerry to the airport.

About the time we got to the car, Katie mentioned that her stomach felt "funny".

About two minutes into the drive Katie was wailing that she was going to be sick.

Luckily we had just purchased a few items, and we had two plastic shopping bags in the car. I handed her one and she threw up her breakfast in it. Emily was in the seat behind her, holding Katie's hair up. Ben was in the seat next to her holding a bottle of water for her. And I was in the front passenger seat trying to help her hold the bag and not (please God!) spill it in the car while Kerry drove. We're quite a team when it comes to someone being sick.

Once she filled up both bags, she felt much better and became quite descriptive about the experience. "I threw up everything except the omelette. I didn't see any of that in there. You know what though? I need to chew my rice better. I saw a whole bunch of rice in there and it didn't look like it had been chewed at all!"

"Katie!" No one in the car wanted to hear about it. We could all smell it and none of us was improved by the experience. I started feeling a little icky myself.

"We've got to get that bag out of the car," I said. "I can feel something coming up in my throat every time I look at it."

"Is it rice?" Kerry asked cheerfully.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...