Skip to main content

Valentines Day

Today isn't the worst day of my life, but it's shaping up to be pretty darn crappy.


We were going to head out to the swap meet at Aloha Stadium today. I decided to stop and fill up the gas tank on the way out. After I filled the tank, the car wouldn't start. A nice man next to us offered to try giving my battery a jump. He did his best, but the Honda just wasn't having any of it.


Well, if the car is going to die, the service station is the place to do it. I walked inside, explained my predicament gave them my keys, and the five of us walked home. At least we weren't all the way into Honolulu when this happened. (I'm looking for the silver lining here.)


I've been on pins and needles all day waiting to hear if the Honda is going to survive, or if I'm going to be out shopping for a new vehicle this week. I've called twice already and they can't tell me anything yet. (ETA: It's the distributor and they can't get the part until Monday.)


This is one of those crummy things that happens when your husband is deployed. Things that would normally fall into his lap are now in my lap and I don't want to be the one making these decisions. Do I have the car fixed? Is it worth the money? Should I just buy something new? I want Kerry to decide what's a good deal on a car. I want him to decide if we should fix the Honda. I want him to do the dickering and bickering.


Crap.

Comments

  1. Hey Amy!!! Its Kimberly... Funny Story... I cant believe yall walked home. your right about things falling into the hands of Kerrys. So hows it feel to be in charge for a while? Enjoy having fun in the sun... Its cold in Georgia so its warm in Hawaii... Everbody seems to have got a tan. Love You Guys. See yall when yall come back! <3 (heart)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right...it's the things like this that happen right after they leave. Silver lining, maybe you're getting it all out of the way early on then you won't have to worry about it;) Will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...