Skip to main content

Space Savers

I had seen commercials for "Space Bags" on television, and frankly, would never have considered ordering them. I tend to very sceptical of commercials and assume that nothing is really as good as it looks on TV. This opinion comes from years of experience.

But here in Hawaii, there is a major mildew issue and bug frenzy. I've been told by everyone

Everyone

EVERYONE

that I should not store anything in cardboard boxes because termites and mice like cardboard. Also, things in cardboard boxes tend to mildew very quickly. I've also been told that if I just fold extra blankets and put them on a shelf for several months, I will find it has become a bug hotel when I take them down and offer them to company, which will cause me great humiliation and horrify my guests whom I am probably trying to impress.

Everything (EVERYTHING) needs to be stored in plastic containers. And all cloth items should be stored in "Space Bags". I was told that not only will this thwart the bugs and mildew, but it will make everything smaller and save space.

I saw some of these at our PX and decided to just try them out. Check this out:

This bag contains three parkas from our Alaska years. Each parka is filled with some puffy substance (could be down, could be foam, it's just something puffy, okay?).

I hooked up my vacuum cleaner to the thing, the opening, the part where you stick the vacuum cleaner hose (WHY is my brain hiccuping on me NOW?) and sucked out all the air and............

..........VOILA! The bag really does shrink everything down to about 1/2 of the space it normally uses! I am absolutely thrilled by this discovery and plan to suction down all of our winter clothes, pillows, sleeping bags, blankets, etc! Anything I can lay my hands on that can be squished will soon be encased in plastic.

You might want to consider buying stock in the company, their sales are about to go up.

Comments

  1. We love these for travel, too. You can get a lot more in your alloted luggage this way. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...