Skip to main content

Meet Me At The Swap Meet!

The swap meet at Aloha Stadium is THE swap meet to go to on the island. If there is any souvenir that you were hoping to buy while you are here, you can get it here cheaper than any other place. If you are here for only a short time, this is one place you DON'T want to go. You could easily spend an entire day here and frankly, you should be at the beach. If you have the willpower to go for only an hour or so, you could try that. But don't say I didn't warn you.

I thought the vendors would be inside the stadium. Instead, they circle the entire outside of the stadium. The vendors are elbow to elbow and many have the same items. When we first arrived, we walked under every tent and looked at every item. After a while, we started to see the same things over and over so we learned which tents to hit and which ones to pass.

Everyone is offering you, and only you, a special deal just for today. Very few things have a price on them so don't bother looking. You have to ask. And nine times out of ten you will hear, "For you? I give you special price. Only twelve dollah. Just for today. Just for you."


We found some great jewelry here, both the real stuff and the cheap stuff. My mother had found a pendant at a store earlier in the week that was $200. She found a similar pendant at the swap meet for $11. Thankfully she had declined to purchase the expensive version or she would have been sick on the spot when she found the cheaper one.






There are lots of handmade crafts with a native theme. I found some great things that I will eventually hang on my back porch fence to give it a Hawaiian feel.




There are great swimsuits and dresses all at fabulous prices. These usually do have prices marked on the rack. I don't know if they are negotiable but the prices are pretty darn good to start with.






There were a couple of artists who would draw your name for you using palm trees, dolphins, mountains, etc for the letters. I particularly liked this man because he would make little "flourishes" with his hands as he painted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...