Skip to main content

Sea Turtles

Today we drove up to Laniakea Beach - unofficially known as "Turtle Beach". Turtle Beach is not advertised and there are no signs to let people know they are near it. I wouldn't even know about it except we had some friends visiting in January who told me about it. I looked it up online and found directions. The directions read, "When you see a bunch of cars pulled over on the right side of the road, that's it."

The reason for all this secrecy is to protect the turtles who come up on the shore to hang out and sunbathe. Scientists do not want people to interact with the turtles in any way. People are not to feed the turtles, touch the turtles, or even get close to the turtles. In other words, stay away. Leave the turtles alone!

So of course, we had to go see them.

There are volunteers there who put red ropes in the sand around the turtles. You can see one in the background of this photo. No one is allowed to cross the red rope.

There were three turtles sunbathing in the sand when we got there.



Then, while we were standing there, a FOURTH sea turtle emerged from the waves and slowly made its way to a sunny spot.

This sea turtle weighs over 200 pounds and is about 35 years old. Volunteers document each turtle, what time it came up on the shore, what time it leaves, and any issues it appears to be having. They see the turtles so often they have named them and recognize who is who by their markings.

I was so excited by the whole experience, I filled out an application to be a volunteer.

I hope I get accepted!

Comments

  1. Simply Amazing-we are headed over to your neck of the woods in about a month. I just found your blog through Sonlight-I can't wait to look around!!

    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like it was a great day.

    We haven't seen the turtles in that spot, but we have on the Big Island at the black sand beach.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...