Skip to main content

Geocache

Yesterday, the kids and I went to a homeschool class on Geocaching. I knew very little about Geocaching before we went, although I had heard of it. One of my homeschool friends set it up and I thought it would be fun for the kids to learn to use a GPS. Plus a lot of their friends were there so it counted as a social opportunity for us unsocialized homeschoolers.

The instructor gave everyone of us a GPS for the class. She talked us through how to use it and set it up step by step. Very interesting! I never knew that you can have your GPS "mark" the spot you are standing so you can find your way back to that very same spot later on. Very handy if you are lost out in the woods.

She called out coordinates to all of us and we plugged them into our GPS's. I double checked my coordinates each time she called them out, and checked them against the kids around me to make sure they had theirs right too. Then we went outside to try them out.

Once you start moving, your GPS screen turns into a big arrow that points you in the direction you need to go to reach the spot you entered in. We all started wobbling around outside following our arrows. I noticed immediately that I was headed in the opposite direction from everyone else in my group. I figured it was because they are all kids and I'm an adult and therefore I picked up the nuances of this little machine quicker than they did.

Eventually though, they all wound up in the same spot, while I was on the opposite side of the building being directed into the middle of a busy street. That's when I decided I must be wrong, and I swallowed my mouthful of crow and headed over to join the group with my head hung down in shame.

We had plugged in coordinates for two different spots around the building and we set off to find the second spot. This time I just followed the group because my arrow was still persistently pointing in the opposite direction. I couldn't believe I had programmed the numbers in wrong twice! How embarrassing.

Now that we had the hang of how a GPS works, we set off to find a real Geocaching spot nearby. We all went to the computer lab, looked up the closest Geocache and programmed in the coordinates. I double and triple checked mine to make sure I didn't mess up this time!

We had to load up in our cars and drive to the spot. It was about a 10 minute drive out in the woods down a gravel road. We all hopped out and started down a tiny dirt trail. Again, my GPS was pointing me to head back up the trail the way we had just come instead of the way everyone else was going. I finally grabbed the instructor and asked her what I was doing wrong. She checked it out and realized something was wrong with the GPS! I had entered everything correctly, but it was formatting the coordinates with no decimals and that threw everything off.

It wasn't my fault! Tee hee!

Anyway, we headed down the trail a ways, and discovered a mailbox hidden behind a tree. There was a ziploc bag with all sorts of odds and ends in it. You are supposed to take one thing and leave one thing. Then you sign a little log book to show that you found it, and go home and log into the Geocache site and and sign in to show that you found it and tell what you took and what you left. I'm ready to be hooked on this game and try doing this on our own now that we know how. It was a lot of fun! Until Ben found a tick on himself. And I found a giant black ant on me. Then Katie freaked out at the thought of the zillion bugs trying to get to her out in the woods and we had to head back up the trail before everyone else.

Other than that, and the messed up GPS, it was a lot of fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...