Skip to main content

E2!

One morning this past week I woke up early and headed downstairs.

At the bottom of the stairs, on the wall facing me, was a poster which had not been there the night before.

 I was looking at it sleepily, thinking, "E 2?"  Obviously the girls made a poster after I went to bed.  I assumed the "E" was for "Emily" but how did the "2" stand for "Katie"?  I started looking at the other things written on the poster and suddenly it hit me:  Emily had gotten her ACT scores back and she had made a 32!!

 We knew the scores could be posted as early as the 11th but they also could take up to two weeks to post them.  Emily had clearly stayed up until midnight to see if her scores were posted, and yes, they were (one of the benefits of having a last name that starts with a letter close to the beginning of the alphabet)!

Emily was still in bed but she said she heard me come out of my room, she heard me walking down the stairs, then she heard a long pause.  Then she heard thump!, thump!, thump!, thump! as I ran back up the stairs, BLAM! as her door slammed open, and WHUMP! as I dived on to her bed screaming, "You made a 32!?!?  You made a 32, really?!?!?!?!?"

 Yes, yes, she did!

Then she stayed up even later making the poster.  I told her about how I had figured out that the "E" was for Emily but I thought the "2" must be for Katie.  She looked at me in bafflement, then went to look at the poster and started laughing hysterically.  

"I can't believe I drew the "3" as an "E"!  I didn't even notice I did that!  I was so tired!"

Yeah, she's super smart, that girl.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...