Skip to main content

Another Katie Story

Well, after my last post about Katie's penchant for doing the wrong thing, I didn't expect to have another Katie story so soon.

We went to our homeschool co-op yesterday. The co-op consists of around 40 people and we all get together to do PE, and study science, art and writing. In the hustle and bustle of everyone arriving and getting their things in order, Katie realized she had left her science experiment in the car and asked for the keys to go back out and get it.

Then we all settled down into our classes; I wasn't teaching during the science class today so I was talking with another mom for a while.

About 40 minutes into class time, Katie came running through the house and tearfully flung herself into my lap. She was red and sweaty, and I was trying to determine if she was hurt or just upset about something that had happened in her class.

Turns out when she had gone out to the van to get her experiment, she had opened the sliding door on the van just wide enough to enter, and once she was in, it slid shut. She realized her experiment was in the very back of the van in the hatchback area and climbed over the seats to get there. Once in the very rear, she couldn't get herself back up over the seat because it came all the way up to her armpits, and the sloping glass at the back didn't allow her enough room for leverage. Because she had the keys with her, she wisely set off the car alarm a couple of times hoping someone would hear it and come rescue her. I didn't hear it although several others did, but of course no one did anything because no one pays attention to car alarms going off these days.

Finally, after 40 minutes in a sweltering hot car, a neighbor who was driving down the street looked in her rear view mirror and saw Katie beating on the back window and crying. She got out of her car and ran to open the hatch and let Katie out.

Poor Katie was drenched in sweat and beet red. It took quite a while for us to get her cooled off. I rubbed her with a cold wet towel and gave her ice water to drink until her color returned to normal. By lunch time she was telling a dramatic rendition to all who would listen of how she just barely cheated death.

I had thought she was in class, and her teacher had thought she was with me.

Mommy guilt galore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mammogram

I'm having my annual mammogram today. I always hear about how painful they are, but honestly, I've never thought they are that bad. Not the most comfortable, but not painful either. Every time I have a mammogram, I'm reminded of this story. It won the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition and I still get a kick out of it every time I read it. So I'm posting it here today for your reading pleasure: Erma Bombeck Writing Competition 1st place in Humor Category Winner Leigh Anne Jasheway of Eugene, Oregon "The First Time's Always the Worst" The first mammogram is the worst. Especially when the machine catches on fire. That's what happened to me. The technician, Gail, positioned me exactly as she wanted me (think a really complicated game of Twister - right hand on the blue, left shoulder on the yellow, right breast as far away as humanly possible from the rest of your body). Then she clamped the machine down so tight, I think my breast actually turned inside o...

Sumida Watercress Farm

This week, we went on a field trip to Sumida Watercress Farm in Aiea. Ben was not happy about going with us. He grumbled the entire way there about me waking him up early to "watch things grow". Sumida Watercress Farm grows 75% of all the watercress produced in Hawaii. It has been run by the Sumida Family for three generations. One of the most interesting things about this farm is that the Pearlridge Mall was built around it because the Sumidas did not want to sell the land. It's very cool to look at this little farm and then see the city buildings all around it. One wall has the tails of marlins they have caught, each of which weighed over 600 pounds! One was even from an 800 pound fish! Mr. Sumida brought out a giant bowl of crawfish which live in the water. He showed the kids how to pick one up and where to hold it so it couldn't pinch them. Katie picked one up and it promptly twisted itself into a backflip and pinched her finger. We got to walk out through ...

Luau, Luau

This week we attended our first luau! We went to the luau at the Hale Koa hotel. The grounds were just incredible. There were men playing soft Hawaiian music, the plants and flowers were glorious. There were people in native costumes making headbands out of palm fronds, chopping up fresh coconut for us to taste, handing out flowers for us to put behind our ears and handing out seashell leis to each guest. It was very relaxed and peaceful. This was a Samoan man who kept us entertained during the cocktail hour. He was very funny! Check out those tattoos. He said the tattoos were part of a rite of passage that he had to go through. He said it took fourteen days to complete the tattoo and, yes, it hurt. And yes, everything was tattooed. He demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree using only a bandanna around his feet. They picked people out of the audience and gave them a quick hula lesson. Katie was thrilled to be one of the people chosen and of course it irritated Ben because he thi...